Some things are best left to their simplicity.
Today, as I garner through the pantry and wrack my brain for new ideas, I end up choosing not so radical ingredients. I let out an obnoxious groan, to which my mom raises an eyebrow, and my cat seeks to comfort me by gnawing at my feet (he means well!).
I’m not a very radical person, but I constantly seek variety and newness in food and all aspects of my life. Oftentimes this leads to dissatisfaction, and so I return always to what I know works (however much it pains me to admit I failed to find… whatever it is).
I figured I couldn’t get away for too long without sharing with you all my go-to cookie recipe!
But, in all honesty… if you are like me and you want to spice things up this recipe is extremely adaptable. Please do exercise your creative flavour combination energies into this recipe!
And then you should share with me because that is the neighbourly thing to do, you know?
Chocolate Chunk Cookiesvegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, corn-free, refined sugar-free
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, at room temperature
2-3 Tbsp rice milk
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup gluten-free flour blend (1/3 cup millet flour, 1/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup tapioca starch)
1/2 tsp corn-free, gluten-free baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp guar gum
1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
1) Preheat oven to 340 degrees (I know it’s weird, just roll with it). Line a cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
2) Beat together sugar and coconut oil until smooth and creamy. Add milk and vanilla and mix to combine. Stir in chocolate chunks.
3) In another bowl, sift together flour , baking powder, baking soda and guar gum; add to wet mixture and stir just until a dough forms.
4) Roll dough into balls and flatten against prepared cookie sheet with the palm of your hand. Bake 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden brown and firm.
5) Cool on the sheet no more than one minute; remove and allow cookies to cool completely on a wire rack (seriously! they will break if you’re impatient like me).
Yield: 12 cookies