It was not my intention to end up with a concoction bearing resemblance to the famous “Blueberry Boy Bait”.
But it happened anyway.
Since I regrettably don’t have any boys around to realize the full potential of this magical dessert, I am settling on the uninteresting name of “Blueberry Snack Cake.” Which is still as good a name as any when you consider the “cake” part.
If there comes a time for this girl to go boy fishing, I will surely let you know if the bait takes. Until then, you should try it out on a boy in your life.
You can thank me when he is “hooked” (sorry, bad pun. I’ll stop now).
Blueberry Snack Cake
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Corn-Free
*Loosely adapted from “Chocolate Chunk Blondie Bars” recipe in The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook.
2-1/2 cups nut-free gluten-free flour mix
3/4 tsp guar gum
1 tsp corn-free, gluten-free baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegan, soy-free shortening
1 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract (beware! most store-bought vanilla contins traces of corn… which of course isn’t labelled. Look for Kosher vanilla)
2 egg replacers (leavening)
1/4 cup rice milk or water
6 oz. fresh or frozen blueberries
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8-in. square pan.
2) Mix together flour blend, gum, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the shortening and sugar at medium speed until thick and fluffy.
4) On low, add vanilla and egg replacers. Mix well.
5) Continuing to mix on low speed, gradually add 1/3 of the flour mixture, alternating with the rice milk, eventually ending with the last third of the flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries (be quick if they’re frozen!)
6) Working quickly, evenly spread the batter into the prepared pan. It will be super thick. That’s ok!
7) Bake 35-40 minutes, until golden and firm, rotating the pan halfway through baking time. Remove from oven and let it cool for 15 minutes; cut into 16 squares, and allow cake to cool completely before serving… but it’s totally ok to claim a corner piece and eat that while it’s still warm. I won’t tell!
Yield: 16 squares